So now what?

This blog started after the hoopla of wedding planning was over, and we were wondering what the next steps in life held for us. Now it's a new adventure for 3.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Super frustrated...

Ok... I am venting... I am soooo frustrated with my mother in regards to my wedding. She really doesn't seem to understand/respect the fact that we don't want a small backyard wedding like she had just this past May (her 2nd marriage). I will not even get started on how I felt about her wedding, it's not really relevant other than to say I didn't really approve - but I went to support her, and didn't say a peep about anything. She had about 10 people at her wedding... did not even invite her 2 sisters... one of which who lives in town. Ok her choices. But she's been downplaying our wedding and after I'll tell her what kind of ideas I have (about any given thing)... she'll try to convince me to do something else... (ok that really doesn't sound so bad *if* they are practical suggestions, or in tune with my likes or dislikes... but here is an example. My colour scheme is lavendar. The bridesmaid dresses are lavendar, etc. She wanted me to change to pink, because her neighbor had pink flowers in her garden that we might be able to use. Not as an accent... but an actual attempt to get me to change my colour). This is the kind of "helpful" idea my mom frequently comes up with. Instead of working with me... she'd rather ignore me all-together and suggest something entirely different.

She hasn't really been all that supportive of the kinds of things we want to do. Her new husband is very C-H-E-A-P and it's really rubbed off on her. Not only is she difficult with me, but now I find out she's telling other people that she doesn't understand why we just don't have a simple wedding, and basically down-talking everything we have planned so far. Nice. We have scaled our wedding way back and cut a lot of corners because we can't afford an elaborate affair. But this is our celebration! We've waited a long time to get married... I think we should be able to do what we want, I would just expect everyone to be happy for us at this point!!!


So I called her tonight to ask her to please be supportive, and that I don't appreciate her talking down about our wedding to other people. They don't have to like the choices we make (they are not contributing in any way, so really they have no right to judge), but please act like you support us. Her response? She hung up on me. Not happy right now.

1 Comments:

At 6:01 p.m., Blogger Raina* said...

If your mother is not contributing.....SHE DOESN'T GET TO UTTER A PEEP!!!!
Are you veryveryvery close to your mother?? Sounds horrible, I know.... but if you are not totally best friends, could you not just involve her in the very bare minimum? Be secretive. Tell her you want her to be surprised.
Did I just give you the worst advice ever????

You may not know this, but Caroline is a fabulous helper. I'm volunteeering her as your personal helper whenever you need her. And seriously, I'm confident she wouldn't even mind.

Just remember that it is YOUR day. Ok the husbands are usually celebrated also, but mostly it's the bride.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home